Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Meet Maria and Luis, My Students

Luis and Maria eating some ice cream

Yesterday was my first day back of teaching English to some of my students so I decided we were going to blog and also give everyone the chance to meet some of my Spanish kids. First, Maria wrote a little bit and then Luis.

.My name is Maria, I am 9 years old, and my favorite number is 19. My birthday is 29th of May. I go to hip hop and ballet classes. My favorite sport is basketball. I really like my English teacher, Sara. My teacher in the school is a friend of Sara. Tomorrow I don't have school because my teacher is on strike. My favorite animal is a cat. Today I caught a small lizard in the school. We have one in our classroom.


Maria and I





Luis and I (Luis came up with the poses for the pictures)

My name is Luis and my favorite sport is basketball. My teacher, Sara, is cool. We have studied English for a long time. My birthday was yesterday, the 12th of May. I turned 11 years old. I received clothes, money, and other things. My favorite present was the money. I am going to have a birthday party in Binibequer with my family and friends.




Binibequer, one of the pueblos in Menorca...has all white buildings and is very pretty.

Maria and Luis are the two youngest kids (9 and 11yrs) that I teach. I also teach their older brother, Carlos, along with 4 other kids. Our English classes are pretty laid back and conversation classes for the most part and my goal is getting them to speak. They learn quite a bit in the school, but need to practice talking. I have learned that with speaking Spanish as well. I can write and understand it pretty well, but when it comes to speaking, it's a bit more difficult. I always know what I want to say, but sometimes it just doesn't come out that way. So I try to make them feel as comfortable and confident as possible so they aren't afraid to talk. Practice makes perfect, right??

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Good job writing Maria and Luis!! =)

Stacey (Sara's sister)

Ms. Boyer said...

Hey Maria and Luis!!! You should write a comment to my 3rd graders on our blog!!! :) Your writing looks great! I love your poses in the pictures as well! Keep working hard and make sure Sara is resting her leg! :) Talk to you soon!

Shannon (Sara's other sister)

Anonymous said...

Hi Maria & Luis!

It's nice to see your cute faces again. I hope school is going well and soon you will be getting summer vacation--right? Maybe-- some day, you'll get to come and visit us here in Rapid River, MI-USA! Keep working hard and don't eat too much ice cream!!=) Keep Sara in line too and don't let her eat too much ice cream!!

Take Care!
Mrs. Boyer (Sara's mother)