Thursday, May 1, 2008

Holidays?? In Spain??

So today is 'El Dia de Trabajo' in Spain which translates to--Day of Work. It is a holiday, indeed. Only in España will the people get a day off from work to celebrate 'work!' I swear, I have never seen a country with so many holidays or reasons not to work. They take days off for every and anything. I guess I am not complaining because I don't think it is a terrible thing, but I do find it a bit humorous. There is a holiday here AT LEAST once a month. Another interesting fact about working in Spain, it is required that the people get 4 weeks of vacation every year. It doesn't matter if you start working tomorrow, you got 4 weeks! wahoooo! Even businesses, restaurants, etc... close down for weeks at a time for vacation. My parents were shocked about this little tidbit and couldn't fathom how the business owners do it, but they do. Every year. It is a little annoying at times living here because the lifestyle is very different in that respect. In a normal place, most of the shops, grocery stores, and businesses are open from 10-2pm, close down at lunchtime from 2-5 pm and open back up again from 5-8pm. This is usually 5 1/2 days a week too--Saturday afternoon and Sunday nothing is open. In Madrid, Barcelona, or the bigger cities, obviously there are more places that stay open due to the tourism, but usually only in the tourist areas. So this wacky time schedule doesn't allow you to do your errands whenever you want like the good ol' USA. I have gotten used to it, but definitely miss this about the States. It definitely is true that the Europeans are more laid back than the Americans though because I think they enjoy life more. They find every reason not to work and many Americans don't know how to quit..... (cough cough.. dad.) I did celebrate the Easter holiday here last month-- American style-- and treated everyone to a great American brunch. I made krupsuu (a traditional Finnish breakfast--an oven-baked pancake), french toast, scrambled eggs, roasted potatoes, bacon, fruit, and some desserts. Our friend, Paul Shirley was in charge of the mimosas... There is nothing better than a good American breakfast. I invited the Americans and Spaniards over and many Spaniards were experiencing their first American breakfast. After eating we put the WII to use and had a little bowling tournament.

The festive tulip and bowl of Easter eggs, chocolate ones of courseCarlos, Marc, Chris, Me(and my bunny shirt), Paul, Estela, and Javi


The pretty cupcakes I made

These are some pictures from the religious festivities that take place during Easter in Spain. Easter is more of a week long celebration here called Semana Santa-Holy Week. There is a parade of floats and people dressed up (on the first Sunday of the week and on the night of Easter) that represents the pride and enthusiasm of every Spaniard's religion. It is a huge deal to the people here, especially in the south of Spain, if they can't carry their float. This year it was raining and there were interviews of people on tv completely sobbing because they were so upset. It's the day they look forward to all year. The bottom picture shows how big they can be.
In Mahon

In Mahon


In the south of Spain

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sara,
Your cupcakes are sooooo cute! In Spain is it mostly Catholics? They really get into the Easter holiday. I think it would be kind of neat to see all of the celebrations. I think you would be a good at sewing...you could also take up Donna Dewberry's One Stroke Painting. It so easy..It's almost like what Stacey's friend painted on Ellie's walls. I have lots of books, brushes and paints. If you would like to try it I will send you a starter kit. Let me know. Hope your recovery is going good and I am sure time will fly by. I will try and call you again...I just have to remember the time change.
Take care and heal fast!!!
Love,
Aunt Susie

Stacey said...

I certainly wouldn't complain about 4 wks of vacation and a holiday every month! How nice would that be?! Good job blogging...you're outdoing me =)

Journey to our baby said...

Nurse Javi..that cracks me up. Do they really carry those big floats themselves? No SUV's or tractors pulling them, what's a parade without some tractors and semi-trucks?!?!

Ms. Boyer said...

I like your poll...your getting so fancy on here!

And FYI Steph is moving to Madison, because I said so! :)

Anonymous said...

Who voted I was getting a job in Rapid River? seriously? lol come onnnnnn

babisabl said...

Dear Sara, you 've done a really nice work here..and your writing style is great..
Anyway, I just want to tell you that in Greece we celebrate 1st of May the same way and we combine it wit escapes in the countryside..Also we have learnt so far that Greece has the most days off than almost any other country..I don't know which country has more, but it seems that Mediterranean countries' people work less than the rest world..
thx for your time, and if voting wasn't close I would chouse ''bald eagle''!