Yesterday, I went for my 2 week check-up with the doc-TOR and had my cast changed. The appointment went just great. He said everything is looking good, no infections, and it felt strong. It was nice to have the cast off for a whopping 10 minutes! My calf looked like a flat pancake from the cast, but oh well. My achilles does feel really well which is encouraging to me. Anyways, now I have this cast on, with my foot closer to a 90 degree angle, for 2 more weeks. I go back on the 27th of May, and I will then get a boot to wear for 2 more weeks. During these next 4 weeks, I will still be on crutches :( , but I am getting to be a pro on the crutches so hopefully the time passes fast.
I will explain a little bit what actually went on in my surgery. When he told me the first day I was there it was a bit hazy to me, partially because I wasn't really understanding everything in Spanish, and because I was listening how I listen when I watch tv--not with my full undivided attention because I had other things going through my mind or I was doing something else. So since I had my Spanish-English translator, Javi with me we now have it under control. Basically, my tendon was completely torn. So there was a big gap and it wasn't a clean cut at all. More like an explosion of my tendons so he had to sew them all together, hence all all the stitches. So the doc put some sort of a base (the word is 'plastia' in Spanish but I am not sure what that is in English so I call it a base) in my achilles to help the sewing process and help him grab the tendons to sew together. I believe that the base is still in there, but it is an organic piece that naturally goes away and helps the tendon heal. And that is pretty it. There is about 15-20 stitches that will automatically dissolve whenever the tendon heals. I am happy that the doc didn't have to take any muscles or tendons out of my calf to sew it back together because I would have had a nice scar up the whole back of my leg. Now my scar is only about 2 inches long. So I hope that makes everything a bit clearer for everyone! Besos from Spain!
Wednesday, May 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment