Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's in Alicante

Happy late Valentine's Day or shall I say, Happy President's Day! This past weekend was a fun-filled one and I was able to see the entire east coast of Spain on a trip to Alicante for the Valentine day weekend.
First things first, El dia de San Valentin (The day of Saint Valentine), that's what it's called here. Javi NEVER buys me flowers and the only time of the year that he does is Valentine's Day. Even though it isn't highly celebrated here like it is in the States, it is becoming more popular (all the flower shops and bakeries have decorations) and Javi kept making remarks in regards to buying flowers such as, 'it's s stupid holiday...it's just another reason to spend money...we don't even celebrate it in Spain'...etc... However, I was very persistent in reminding him that I would be veryyyyyy sad if I didn't get flowers, since it is the only time of the year that I do! Well, I had class on Friday and I was thinking--hmmm maybe he will have some flowers for me when I get home?? (haha) No, he didn't. At the same time, I was thinking all of these thoughts because I knew we were both leaving on Saturday morning--Valentine's Day-- for his basketball game in Alicante so how could he do it?? I might add, Javi isn't the best planner in the world...he has the potential to be romantic, but I don't ever get my hopes up. Anywho, when I came home from my class we went to have a beer/glass of wine and then decided to eat pre-Valentine's dinner at our favorite place in Lleida which was a lot of fun. The next morning, we both got up at 7:30 or so because he had to leave at 8 am and I wanted to get going as well because it was a 4.5 hour drive to Alicante. When I was getting ready he asked me, 'What's in the kitchen?' So I nonchalantly stuck my head into the kitchen and looked towards the patio and said...'it's just my shoe out there...' Then that prompted..'No, you dummy, on the island in the kitchen?' Then to my surprise there was a little bear holding a vase of 3 roses (see pic below)! I was veryyy surprised to say the least, because at that point, I was already accepting the fact that I wasn't getting roses. :) Then I got to listen to Javi prance around about how sneaky he is and how he surprised me. LOL. It was a nice way to wake up and if you don't know me, I am always trying to predict or guess what my presents are, right mother??
So, we both left for Alicante early Saturday morning. The main reason I went was to visit our friends, Carlos and Estela (Javi played with Carlos last year in Menorca), who just had a baby girl, Lucia, back in December. Usually, I don't go to Javi's road games especially if they are 4.5 hours away, but it was a good reason since we hadn't seen them since this past summer. I was slightly nervous to say the least..driving 4.5 hours, alone, in Spain, but I made it in superb time and drove right to their house in downtown Alicante. It was a really pretty drive as well, because I went along the entire east coast of Spain and driving through Spain is pretty in itself. Alicante is located in the southeast corner of Spain. It was green hills, mountains, water, and I even saw all the Valenciana orange trees when I drove through Valencia. I definitely am not able to multitask when I drive here though because the roads are very curvy. I got to Alicante in time for lunch and I visited with Carlos, Estela, and Lucia. They are in love with their little girl and they both have a glow about them. Estela took me to a castle in Alicante, but we were pretty limited as far as doing things because she is breast feeding which means Lucia is calling every 3 hours or so. I didn't mind anyways, because I was happy to see them. Javi wasn't able to come over on Saturday because he was tied down with basketball, but we all went to the game on Sunday (Lucia's first one) and then had lunch together before we headed back. Carlos's team won by 10 points so that was a bummer for us, but Javi played well and his team definitely had their chances. I really miss Estela from last year, she is one of my best friends I have met since I have been living here and my Spanish always gets better when I am with her. She always knows what I am trying to say! :) I wish we were able to see them more. Here are a few pictures from the weekend!

Estela and I in the castle

Me in the castle

One of the beaches in Alicante


Part of ALicanteCarlos and Javi after the game

The happy family
All of us at lunch

6 comments:

Journey to our baby said...

Good job Javi surprising you! I love the pics from Alicante...it is so beautiful! I just love how you were describing your drive, you are experiencing so many cool things. Howie says HI!!! Roof!

Stacey said...

It looks like Lucia is smiling in the family pic - very cute! =)

Anonymous said...

Yeah Sara........Nice update. What pretty flowers also. See, if we drop enough hints they finally catch on Right Javi???? great pictures. Keep up the good work.

Love
Aunt Sandy

Ms. Boyer said...

I can just hear Javi...."No you dummy, on the island!" You guys are funny...and you are so lucky for all of the parts of Spain you are seeing!!! I wish Andy and I lived there with you!!!

WHITNEY & LUCAS said...

Hey Sara! I love your pictures of Alicante, so beautiful. I just saw your comments on my blog, I didn't even notice I had any. Yeah, Lucas is a pretty funny dog. Anytime you want to come to TC let me know. You and Shannon should come this summer, its awesome in summer. Hope all is well!

Ms. Boyer said...

¡Sí! ¡Andy es un bicho de amor! ¡Entendí lo que usted lo dijo y tradujo en línea! ¡¡Así allí!!!